Pages

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

21-30

21. Read 6 books. Check!

I love reading, but I am an excruciatingly slow reader. Mostly because I like to ponder, and also because lately I have been making an effort to read more fiction. I think a good fiction novel is supposed to take longer to read - that way you can truly appreciate the characters, the author's style.... maybe I am just making excuses for myself. My book count for this year...
My (super short) opinions you ask?
 - I know I do not fit the demographic but I really enjoy Joyce Carol Oates' writing. Both the style, and the subjects she tackles in her works. 

 - Steve Martin should stick to playing the banjo. And acting. Or maybe not, maybe just the banjo.
- My husband urged me to read the "Last Lecture" and I enjoyed it. I think what I enjoyed most was having some of the conversations the book provoked. 

 - The Convent - I randomly picked this one up off the bookshelf and I was glad I did. An easy read, but thought provoking none the less.The author, just in case you can not make it out from the picture above is Panos Karnezis. I am putting his other novel, The Maze, on my to read list in year 31.

- One of Our Thursdays is Missing - such a fun book to read! If you love fiction - go get this one. It is very clever. Sometimes a bit too clever (some of the puns I knew I should be getting, but I simply was not). There are more Thursday books out there, and when I have the time I think I will seek them out as well.

22. Take the family to a concert. Check!

What I really meant to do was to take my boys to Hillside this year. Unfortunately, that did not work out. What we did end up doing was going to the Grand Porch Party which was also great music fun, but probably a little easier for Hudson to bear. I know that at the end of the day there was talk of turning it into an annual thing - I sure hope those plans are being kept alive.


23. Give back. Check!

Karl and I each have a Kiva account. Mine got a boost in July after my no spending hiatus. If you have no idea what I am talking about, click here.

24. Continue to grow out my hair. Check!

I think my hair is officially the longest it's been in about 10 years. So long in fact, if I was it in the morning it is often still damp in the afternoon. I am seriously considering going back to super short. We'll see :)

25. Donate Blood. Check!

26. Go vegetarian for a week. Nope

This, unfortunately did not work out. We have, however been making efforts to eat less meat then we used to. I think what it boils down to is that I am having a hard time coming up with vegetarian dishes that are no pasta. Or Indian cuisine which Karl does not care for. Help?!? Seriously, I would like some suggestions as I would still like to complete this challenge,

27. Write (as in hand write) a letter. And actually mail it, too! Nope.

And it's totally eating me up. Now that I have more free time, I am making this a priority though. I am hoping to do this before September is over.

28. Take a class/course/seminar - learn something new. Nope.
 
29. Have a picnic. Check!


30. a) Say "yes" when I really want to say "no"
      b) Say "no" when I really want to say "yes"

It's pretty scary, but we are going for it soooo..... Check!


xo, 
M

10 comments:

Lisa said...

If you need veggie ideas, I'm your woman! I'm a vegan now and went veggie when I was 19. I have (literally) stacks of recipes and cookbooks.

Also going to check out the Thursday books. I'm intrigued.

Mira said...

Yes, please. Who was the other author you mentioned tonight? I have the memory of a goldfish these days.

Tricia Orchard said...

Wow! Your house is for sale? Your place looks great! Have you already purchased your next house?

Good luck with everything!

T

Mira said...

Hi Tricia,

Thank you. It was a huge decision for us. We really love our home and enjoy Waterloo, but a great opportunity has come our way so we are taking the plunge. I will keep you posted as everything unravels.

Cheers,

M

Tricia Orchard said...

That is very exciting for all of you! My guess? You are moving to Kelowna! :)

I look forward to hearing all about it when you choose to write about it!

Tricia

Mira said...

Good Guess Tricia. We would love to do that but no, that's not it.

:)

Lisa said...

Elizabeth Hay. Late Nights on Air is one of my faves.

Tricia Orchard said...

I just clicked on your link and saw that your house has sold! Congratulations!

It must be a huge relief!

Good luck with everything.
Tricia

Mira said...

Hi Tricia,

Thanks for checking in. Yes, the house sold in less then a week. It was a bit crazy to be perfectly honest. Speaking of crazy, this is why we sold it...
http://absencealert.blogspot.com

Cheers,

Mira

Milady said...

Melanie here! I enjoyed this piece, please email me--I have a question about your blog. MelanieLBowen[at]gmail[dot]com