Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

I saved a life!

I am a HUGE suck. The type that cries over commercials, people. Even radio ones. HUGE. SUCK. Did I mention that?

Anyways, so being the faithful CBC listener that I am, and living a cable free existence since October 2009 - my exposure to commercials has been fairly limited. At the start of this month however, I was driving home from the grocery store. I was in the car that Karl normally drives, and because he carpools, he has had to broaden his radio station horizon to stuff we would normally never listen to. (Like country rock for example - which by the way is really catchy, and once it gets in your head - it's really, really hard to get it out. No matter how bad.). A commercial came on. And the flood gates opened.

I do not know if you have heard it (I tried to find it online but no luck), it was the one where the little boy tells you about things he likes - like watching cartoons and going to the park - and things that he does not -like eating broccoli or cauliflower - and then he says, that the only reason he is telling you all this because research shows that you are more likely to donate blood if you know someone who needs it.....(Ya...I am totally crying as I write this)....I bawled my eyes out the entire way home. I kept trying to imagine what it must be like to be that little boys mom. Or any other mom for that matter, whose child - young or old - needs someone elses blood. For whatever reason.

On Saturday morning, I saved a life. Possibly three. I went to my local clinic and donated blood. It was that easy.

M

P.S. In my search for the radio commercial I mention above, I did come across this one.


And yes... I am crying again.

No comments: