One of Karl's buddies is getting married next month. Last weekend was his bachelor party, so Hudson and I were on our own.
Having survived my first week as I stay at home mom, I was encouraged by my ability to care for my child 24/7. Zealously, I though we could kick things up a notch.
By 12:30 PM we checked in at the Laurel Creek Conservation Area campsite. Things got off to a great start.
And then thing started to get interesting.
Although it worked just fine when I tried it at home in the morning, I could not get the camp stove going. If you have not experienced it yourself, a hungry toddler is a pretty scary thing. Throw in a hungry Mira.... in less then 20 minutes, round trip, we settled back at our picnic table with a Whopper, Chicken tenders and some french fries.
I needed to redeem myself.
I was not sure I could do it, but I did manage to start a fire - Scout standard. One match. No paper :)
Hudson was besides himself. He kept running through the smoke excitedly, screaming "fire, fire.. my fire"....
I was trying to ready more wood ....
Daddy texted to see how things were getting on. The cell phone was in my back pocket, and the vibration of it, combined with being a little on edge over a child who was tired yet unable to stand still for more then a millisecond - well it scared the daylights out of me!
The hatched in my right hand came down. My left hand, however forgot to get out of the way.
The following few moments are a bit of a blur. I ran over to the car in search of band aids, which I of course did not have. With my hand behind my back, my finger bleeding profusely (At some point, I do remember nearly passing out, so I knew better then to keep looking down at it) Hudson and I wondered/staggered over to a nearby campsite where a dad was camping with his son.
Hah! Turns out I am not the only one who takes their kid camping and does not bring a first aid kit!
At this point I think even Hudson caught on to the fact that something serious started walking from site to site calmly declaring "My mommy needs a band aid". It was actually kind of cute to watch.
I was in deed "rescued" and patched up by a young couple who suggested I may consider stitches. What you can't see in that picture above is that I managed to slice about 3/4 of the way right through my finger. It wasn't pretty, and it hurt like hell.
We returned to our campsite, where we (along with the equally unprepared but less clumsy dad and his child) roasted (or simply set on fire if you are my son) marshmallows and talked. I can not remember what on earth we talked about because I am pretty sure I was in a mild shock, but it was a pleasant visit. I think.
I debated about packing things up and going home. Hudson however, was having a fantastic time.
We rounded up some pine cones and built a railroad track for Thomas. Later it was converted into a highway for his blue truck.
And we found the fastest slide in all of KW. (That I know of, anyways). Hudson LOVED it!
It was 10:30PM when he finally passed out. I am not going to lie, I breathed a sigh of relief. Camping with a 2.5 year old should be a two parent sport.
I pulled out my cell phone to update Karl. I was standing no more then 2 steps away from the tent when something brushed up against my feet. I looked down.
I kid you not! I bolted for the picnic table and flicked on my headlamp.
Pepe proceeded to sniff his way around the tent. Where Hudson was sleeping. Awesome. I turned off the light and waited a few moments. The moon was full (go figure!), so I could more or less make out what was going on even in the dark. Pepe made his way off our site and into the bushes.
I stoked the fire and got my book out of the car. I could hear the pitter patter of tiny animal feet off in the distance. Pepe was back at the tent.
"You've got to be kidding me" I thought to myself as I climbed back onto the picnic table and contemplated
never leaving the house again my next move. Things seemed to quiet down. I turned the headlamp on again and looked towards the tent.
Pepe backed up and raised his tailed. Strike position! Headlamp off. Shhh******t.
Pepe makes his move towards the picnic table.
Tiny pitter patter towards the woods.
I crawled into the tent next to Hudson and tried not to stir too much!
We woke up around 9:30 (I know!) the next morning.
"I schlept in a tent mommy!!!" were the first words I heard that morning. A giant smile beamed on his little face.
"You did!" It was sooo worth it!
By noon we were back at home. Daddy came back shortly before one, and I was dispatched to the hospital.
According to the doctor that checked me over, in a year's time you won't be able to tell. That's great!
Just in time for next year's camping trip!
While I was in the hospital, Karl called me on the cell.
"The hatched leaning by the tool box, is that the one you took with you?"
"Yes, and I meant to put it back but you came home before ....." I was on the defensive.
"It's a good thing you did not find the one hanging up in the rafters. This one is the duller of the two.