Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

Something to Think About

I came across this blog earlier this week and I CAN NOT stop thinking about it.

At first, I though it was totally inspiring ..... then I thought it was bizarre... and at this very moment I am feeling ashamed. I encourage you all to take a few minutes to browse it. It will be well worth your time. I think.

read more here


Know what that is? That is 6 MONTHS worth of garbage generated by a FAMILY OF FOUR.
Ya.

Today is garbage day in our neighbourhood. At the curb near my house sit 2 nearly full recycling boxes and one of those giant bins of garbage destined for the landfill - also about 2/3 full. That's a lot of waste in one week. Too much for my liking.

Therefore, (inspired by the ZERO WASTE HOME), over the next few weeks I promise to implement the following waste reduction strategies:

1. ALL compostables will make their way into the compost bin. We have 2 composts in our backyard, and in the winter we use the municipal green bin (because it is easier to keep that at the back door then to put on my boots and trek across the snowy backyard), but even so, I sometimes simply get too lazy to deal with it.

2. No more store bought (packaged) juice. We actually own really good juicer -  so again, I really have no excuses not to make my own. And besides cutting down on the packaging, we will be cutting down on lord knows what sugars/chemicals are is added to the jucie we currently buy.

3. Stop using plastic bags for our produce. You know, those flimsy little ones that you put your tomatoes into and then stash them under the kitchen sink and never ever use them again. Or do you? If so, what for? Because mine just sit there until they start spilling out each time I open the cupboard and then I throw armfuls into the trash. What is the point of them anyways? I suppose so that your food does not come in contact with the conveyor belt/scanner/scale. But really, we wash everything before eating it soo....I am eliminating those.

4. Diapers. Until he was about 1 year old, we used a cloth service which was awesome. Our sitter did not want to have to deal with them and since we kind of needed a sitter when I went back to work, we switched disposables - just until Hudson was potty trained. Ya. The kid is almost 2.5. I think it's time.

It's not much, I know - but it's a start. I will keep you posted on how that goes.

xo,
M

P.S. If you do get a chance to visit the ZERO WASTE HOME blog, let me know what you think. Should you feel inspired to reduce your own waste, please drop me a line as well. Suggestions are also welcomed.


1 comment:

Tricia Orchard said...

I haven't looked at the link yet, but I will later today.

FYI, I have a collection of green, mesh bags that I use for my produce. I just keep them in my stash of re-usable grocery bags. I got mine from a company in Toronto. They are fantastic and people ask me all the time where I get them from.

http://www.grassrootsstore.com/Reuseable_Mesh_Produce_Bag_10_Pack_p/583.htm

You can also put plastic bags out with your recycling each week. We keep a plastic bag in our kitchen and then throughout the week add any other plastic bags or plastic packaging to it. On recycling day, it goes out with the recycling.

Thanks for the link. It sounds intriguing.

Good luck!