Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Good Eats

My latest obsession?

Wait, let me clarify that... in the FOOD CATEGORY...



KALE!
It's a simple, humble veggie but sooo healthy, tasty and versatile. I have mainly been preparing it as a side dish (I have a great and easy recipe I will post later), but it is also very good raw (in a salad) and yesterday I turned it into this delish soup!

Yup, that's my soup. And the bread... a potato and chives foccacia...sooo good!


It's a version of a White Bean and Kale Soup, (you can find TONS of recipes for different versions, like this one here, or this one if you like creamy soups, or you can try Martha's version ) but I am really awful at following directions, so I kind skimmed them all and then invented my own.

If you are interested in trying my version, this is how it went:

Ingredients:
1 pkg Pancetta, cubed (I know, I am so lazy I bought the cubed stuff. But really, it was the same price as the other stuff - so why not!) (I think the pkg was 150g)
1 onion, (diced)
4 cloves of garlic, (minced)
2 carrots (however you like them, the smaller you cut them, the faster they cook)
3 large stalks of celery (chopped)
4 tomatoes (diced)
2 parts chicken stock
1 part beef stock (This happened as sort of an accident because I ran out of chicken stock, but next time I make it, I will add it on purpose)
2 cans of white beans (drained) (They sit in an icky sticky juice, so I dumped them in a colander and ran some cold water over them for about 15 seconds) If you are against canned beans (check the back of the label. Holy SODIUM), and able to plan ahead, you can probably soak your own dry beans but I have no idea how long that would take.
7-8 cups of kale, stems removed and torn to bite sized pieces

Cooking directions:

1.In a large stock pot saute the pancetta, onion and garlic. When the onions start to look "glassy" add the carrots and celery. Cover and let it do its thing. (Stir occasionally)
Doesn't that look pretty....and yummy

2.Once the carrots soften up a bit (I use the side of my wooden spoon to check), add tomatoes.


3. Add your stock. I do not list the amount because I do not measure. (Kind of goes in hand with the whole following directions thing - eeek).

For those that need more specific directions, I basically just keep adding until all the veggies are covered in liquid, and then I guesstimate some more to account for the fact that I am yet to add ingredients, and that some liquid usually cooks off!

5. Continue cooking over medium heat until veggies soften up. About 10 minutes should do it.

4. Add beans and kale. Cook until kale wilts and beans are warmed through.

And that's it! Enjoy :)

Pros:
Delish!
If I pick out the kale, Hudson will eat it.
It took like 20 mins. to prepare so you can totally make it while the wee one is napping, and still have time to apply a fresh coat of nail polish : ) Or check on the blogosphere.
Makes enough for lunch the next day.

Cons:
None that I could think of.

No comments: