Pages

Monday, January 31, 2011

There is no such thing ...

Hudson has never been a wonderful napper. He is a good overnight sleeper, but naps have been a struggle since he was tiny. Until he was about 1, I was lucky if I got anything more then 25 minutes out of him.

You can imagine my joy then, when yesterday he napped for 3.5 hours!

It was divine. I had not one but two cups of tea, and pretty well read half a book. Pure bliss I tell you. Bliss!

Fast forward to a couple of minutes past 11:30 PM....

I heard a creak of the floor and then a loud bang as Hudson's bedroom door slammed against the adjacent wall.

"I come mommy"

Then another crash -this time our bedroom door. Before I could open my eyes, a stuffed bear landed on my face. A tiny elbow jabbed me in the ribs. A knee in my stomach.

"Up mommy" "Up"

You've got to be kidding me.

I plucked the bear and the child out of the sea of bedsheets and pillows and carried him back across the hall. Tucked him in, and returned to my bed.

For the next 2 hours, Karl and I took turns plucking, carrying and tucking in. And each time, the creak, the bang (times two) and that darn bear.

At around 2 am I dispatched Karl to the basement. One of us needed to have our wits about us in the morning.

The creaking and banging continued until about 3 AM, until I finally gave in and let Hudson lay in our bed beside me. As a sign of gratitude, he proceeded to serenade me with hits like "twinkle, twinkle" and " itsy... spider up...down..... out....". Complete with hand gestures.

Sometime shortly after 4 AM, we both passed out.

No such thing as a free 3.5 hour nap I tell you..... no such thing.

No comments: